Tuesday, December 1, 2009

December Fab Friday


I wasn't able to race last month, and I won't be able to this month either, which is unfortunate. I'm not sure what the public sentiment is, but these races seem to be getting shorter and shorter (Matt B and Sterling finished last month's race in 15 minutes) and less and less advertised. The sponsor and after party situation has been static for a while as well. I suggest that someone else do the work for a month, but as long as Fast Folks puts them on, I'm sure folks will keep showing up.

I have a few ideas for a race series bouncing around, almost exclusively focused on inviting riders out that may not have been in Austin as long as some of us. The idea being that there are people out there who want to race, but might be intimidated to show up, or just unaware of the alleycat scene that exists. Guerilla advertising (spoke carding at shops, clubs, wherever) and hopefully a decent turn out of people that may not have met eachother. It might sound dumb to some people, but if this community is going to keep going, we need fresh faces to take our places when we get old and grumpy and start riding road bikes.

Oh wait, that's already happened...

2 comments:

  1. spoke card idea is grand! and yeah, i agree with you. i think a lot of kids get caught up with school, partying too hard at the start and then winter sets in and the only guys that come out are the oldies and fasties...

    let's get some new blood. i can pass stuff out at my Bike Problems shows too. let me know.

    ReplyDelete