Thursday, October 15, 2009

Metal Pedal Alleycat Re-cap

It's hard to believe it after these most recent 3 days of 85 and up degree temperatures, but Sunday's alleycat was the first cold weather alleycat of the season, and boy was the weather shitty.

After a few weeks of faux-fall, El Nino caught up with us and brought a weekend of cold rainy days just in time for Annie P's race. The weather forecast had said 'fair,' but when the weather turned I was honestly curious to see who would show up, and how many fair weather riders would stay indoors.

Pleasant surprise:




































Nearly 40 people raced and in between the organizers, the people working at the venue and the beer tent, there were nearly 70 people involved by the end of the race. Not to mention all the Bird's employees were wearing big wigs and zebra print leggings.



























So the le mans style start was rad, and I still have a bruise from sliding out in the alley and getting run over by Kate Moon! First stop was Fast Folks, where I was well behind the main pack. Down a green banana, collect a sticker, then up to Clown Dog Bikes. The routes were as follows:

East Side: no traffic, hills
Downtown, Red River to MLK: traffic, cops, hell of hills
or
Downtown, Red River to 15th to Campus: also involved hills and cops and pedestrians.

(The thing with Austin is this: if you choose the straight route, it tends to be the hilliest. I like fucking around with neighborhood routes. I grew up here, I won't get lost, but I sure as hell will shoot myself in the foot racing the routes I use to commute. But it's a nice city, so what the hay!)

I chose route three. Then to Clementine Coffee, which is a hill, no way around it. Then Peddler, more hills. Then Vulcan Video, which was a surprise stop but all downhill. Then back to Bird's on East 6th.

I placed 6th or 7th overall. I'm proud. The folks who beat me are my favorite people in the cycling community down here and getting my ass kicked (in order) by Will, Frye, John Keller, Mason, Paul, and Kate Moon is an honor, whether I was 6th or 60th place. Rob even came in a scant few minutes behind me on the tall bike!

14 miles, with Will and Frye finishing in around 45 minutes and me at around 50. Beers were had, smiles and interviews for the new bike zine went around. It was fun.

Thanks to James for all the good photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment